The Lawyers Other Lawyers Go To To Defend Them (213) 542-0963


How Do I Get A Restricted License After a DUI?

Posted by Ronald D. Hedding | Jun 17, 2019

Obtaining a restricted driver's license through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can be done in person or over the phone. Also, you are usually best served in permitting your DUI defense attorney to assist you with this process or at least guide you on where to go and what to say.

Most of the time, in my experience, the restricted license will be automatically sent to you once you supply the DMV with what they require related to your DUI arrest. When you receive a DUI-related offense, you lose some valuable privileges that the rest of us take for granted.

When I meet with clients, I can see that they are frustrated by the system's many restrictions and requirements heaped on them.

I have to explain to them that driving in California is a right and not a privilege. Sometimes it takes a minute for them to accept this and realize how powerful the courts and DMV genuinely are when it comes to your driver's license.

Sometimes it is tough for people to accept that when you get your driver's license, you have to submit to the road rules, the legislature, and the courts. Suppose you put yourself or others at risk by drinking alcohol and driving. In that case, the courts have a lot of power to restrict your driving ability and even limit your freedom under the appropriate circumstances.

Usually, suppose you obtain a restricted license based on a DUI you received in Los Angeles County. In that case, you will need to file an SR-22 showing that you have the requisite car insurance, pay fees related to the issuance of the license, show proof that you are enrolled in an appropriate alcohol program, and make arrangements to install an ignition interlock devise in the car your drive. Typically it is advisable to go down to the DMV in person and ask them precisely what you need to obtain your restricted license.

How does an Administrative Hearing affect your ability to drive on a temporary driver's license the police give you after an arrest? While your case is pending an administrative hearing, you are entitled to use the pink slip that the police gave you (after they took your physical driver's license away from you) for the first thirty days after your arrest.

If your DMV hearing is pushed past the thirty days, the DMV should send you a good temporary license until the DMV rules on your hearing and the possible suspension of your driver's license. It is always best to rely on the advice of your attorney as far as when you are entitled to drive, in conjunction with what the DMV tells you. Your attorney should also be able to assist you with getting an extended temporary driver's license if your DMV hearing is pushed past the thirty-day date.

Driving On A Suspended License

If you are caught driving on a suspended or revoked license, the punishment can be harsh and include jail time. The DMV and the courts are in the business of protecting the community from those who drink alcohol and choose to drive a car. The legislature has given the courts and DMV wide latitude in enacting rules and sanctions for those who jeopardize other people's lives. This is not to try and take on City Hall by yourself. You need the guidance of a seasoned DUI defense attorney!

Why You Need An Experienced DUI Lawyer

The best way to defend your rights and make sure that you are treated fairly is to hire a local DUI defense attorney who knows the ropes and has successfully handled cases just like yours.

When I meet with my clients, I have the objective of explaining to them how the system works related to their situation and what they can expect moving forward. There is nothing worse than knowing what is around the corner and what impact a DUI can have on your life. You will feel a sense of calm and peace of mind once you know what you are up against and what you can do to achieve the best possible result.

Once you know what you are up against and what you can do to help your attorney, then you can take back control of your life and begin the process of getting out of the system and free from its restrictions. There is light at the end of the tunnel. However, you must be proactive in making sure you have a good attorney by your side and doing your part to make certain things go smoothly with your DUI case.

About the Author

Ronald D. Hedding

What Makes Ronald Hedding Uniquely Qualified To Represent You? I've been practicing criminal defense for almost 30 years and have handled thousands of cases, including all types of state and federal sex crime cases. All consultations are discreet and confidential.

Contact Us Today

Hedding Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about DUI law issues in California and throughout the United States.

I'll privately discuss your case with you at your convenience. All consultations are free, discreet, and confidential. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.