The Lawyers Other Lawyers Go To To Defend Them (213) 542-0963


What Is The Interstate Driving License Compact?

Posted by Ronald D. Hedding | May 29, 2020 | 0 Comments

The interstate Driver License Compact involves states cooperating with each other in exchanging information, such as, when someone has a DUI. For example, someone who gets a DUI in California who has a New York license could let New York know that they have a DUI.

New York would have the ability to verify whether or not that person has any DUI's on their record and/or whether their license is suspended. I've seen situations where people get a DUI outside Los Angeles, California, move into Los Angeles, and try to get a license in California.

Then, because of the interstate compact, the DMV can see that they have a DUI in another state. A lot of times California will allow them to get their license, but they will get punished as if they obtained that DUI in California.

They'll make them do a first offender three-month alcohol program as well as other things in order to get their driver's license in California.

Will A DUI In California Affect My Home State Driving Privileges?

A DUI in California might affect your home state driving privileges, but that will depend on what the rules are in your home state. A lot of times, people will drive in California with another driver's license and get arrested for a DUI, but the police won't usually take their driver's license away if it's from a different state.

What Is The Interstate Driving License Compact?

They don't want to mess around with another state's driver's license. So, a lot of times the DMV in California won't do anything about that type of DUI arrest.

But, if there is some sort of an interstate compact between your state and California, and you get a DUI in California, your state might end up finding out about it and may end up punishing you.

All states are different. They have their own rules. However, if you do get a DUI in California and you have a driver's license from another state, you should have an attorney look into it, or at least go to the DMV in your state to make sure that your driving privileges have not been impacted in any way.

Do I Have To Be Present For My DUI Proceedings In California If I Am In Another State?

If you get a DUI in Los Angeles, California, but live in another state, we can still definitely help you out. We can make most, or even all of the court appearances, if necessary, on your behalf.

However, if your case goes to trial, especially if it's a felony, you're going to have to be there to have any chance of winning the trial. If it's a misdemeanor DUI, we can make the appearances for you and retain us over the phone if you're back in your home state.

Give us all the information. We'll email you all of the paperwork related to the case. We can have a discussion about how strong the evidence is against you and what the best course of action is.

Most of the time, you can do the DUI offender programs in your home state, and then send us proof that you're doing it. That's definitely something that can be done. I've done it for thousands of clients over the last 26 years of DUI practice in Los Angeles.

If I Get Sentenced To Community Service In California, Will I Have To Serve It Here?

A lot of the courts in Los Angeles, California, have taken the position that if you're going to do community service or community labor, they want you to do it in California.

But, depending on the circumstances, your attorney can make the argument for you that if you do have to do community service, that you should be able to do it in another state. The problem with that is that it might be difficult to monitor and keep track of.

In California, they have an office that handles community service with a list of court approved community service work for you to pick from. The list helps track your community service. And so, this is definitely something you want to bring up to your attorney.

Let your attorney know that you cannot do community service in California because you live in a different state. Your attorney will then discuss that with the judge and the prosecutor, and come up with a solution so that you can handle your DUI conviction the right way.

About the Author

Ronald D. Hedding

What Makes Ronald Hedding Uniquely Qualified To Represent You? I've been practicing criminal defense for almost 30 years and have handled thousands of cases, including all types of state and federal sex crime cases. All consultations are discreet and confidential.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Contact Us Today

Hedding Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about DUI law issues in California and throughout the United States.

I'll privately discuss your case with you at your convenience. All consultations are free, discreet, and confidential. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.